Position: National Director
Salary Range: 95,000- 110,000
Benefits: Full package including health, vision, and dental, 401K
Reports to: Rising Majority’s Leadership Team
Priority Application Deadline: Priority will be given to applications received by June 15th. Open until filled.
About The Rising Majority:
The Rising Majority is a Black and people of color-led broad-based coalition of multiracial groups on the political left that are committed to opposing the ravages of racial capitalism, settler colonialism, white supremacy, and patriarchy.
In 2017, the Movement for Black Lives convened allied organizations and movements in response to the 2016 elections, and from there the Rising Majority was formed. Our coalition is working to develop a collective strategy and shared practice that will involve labor, youth, abolition, immigrant rights, climate change, feminist, anti-war/anti-imperialist, and economic justice forces in order to amplify our collective power and to build alignment across our movements.
The Rising Majority is committed to building a powerful, anti-racist left for radical democracy. In order to leverage our collective power, we are committed to cohering movements and engaging organizations and individuals in strategies that are crucial to deepening solidarity and building power. We believe that our historical mandate and our responsibility in this moment is to depart from the pattern of scattered and siloed struggles as much as possible. Here’s how we do it:
- Building cross movement campaigns around shared targets to ensure the material conditions of the most marginalized are shifted
- Developing and advancing narratives and cultural interventions that influence popular consciousness to uproot the fundamental ideas of systems like racialized capitalism and patriarchy; and
- Curating opportunites to build political and values-based alignment within our communities, among our bases, and from our organizations to practice the anti-racist, anti-capitalist, anti-patriarchial, radical democracy we are fighting for.
- Leading major political education events, actions, and more to respond to the critical moments
- Building ties, lines of communication and relationships that cross sectoral and other boundaries
The National Director is responsible for overseeing the strategic direction, leadership, and operational management of the Rising Majority. Under the supervision of our leadership team, the Director is responsible for overseeing the execution of the day to day work of the Rising Majority and supervising staff. The Director is also responsible for ensuring cross-learning and communication between various task teams and working groups, providing guidance and supporting the implementation of programming. Finally the Director will be integral in our movement building strategies- representing the Rising Majority in key movement formations and building partnerships.
Areas of work
- Work with the leadership team to ensure that the strategic direction and programming of the Rising Majority is aligned with our values, connected to our mission, and is responsive to the shifting political conditions.
- Responsible for leading the development of operational plans and programming in service of the Rising Majority’s strategy
- Represent RM as a spokesperson at public events, partner meetings and the media.
- Work closely with Leadership Team members and relevant staff to develop a partnerships and recruitment strategy
- Recruit, establish and maintain relationships with organizations towards enhancing our collective’s mission
- Insure communication, transparency and accountability throughout the RM eco-system
- Identify opportunities for growing the breadth and influence of RM
Supervision and Staffing:
- Recruit and onboard new staff in order to meet the needs of the organization and
- Set annual performance goals for the staff; oversee evaluation and support performance reviews and improvements when necessary.
- Coordinate staff growth efforts to increase Rising Majority’s capacity
- Provide overall management and leadership to staff team, provide day to day supervision of and ensure the work is aligned with RM’s strategy
- Manage staff development plans and opportunities ranging from social/emotional to political development
- Oversee organization leadership team and committee meetings
Funding and Budgetary:
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
- Supervises the development of operations-based financial modeling with M4BL financial director and operations coordinator.
- Review and approve contracts for services
- Support fundraising efforts for the organization
- Prepares accurate and timely analyses that capture and communicate the impact of the Rising Majority
- Coordinates and leads annual budget reviews, monthly and quarterly reviews, and periodic forecast updates
You’ll thrive in this role if this sounds like you:
*While no candidate will possess every quality, the successful candidate will possess many of the following qualifications and attributes. Even if you aren’t sure but are excited about the position, we encourage you to apply!
- Demonstrated commitment to The Rising Majority’s values and mission
- A minimum of 10 years’ organizing experience desired
- Demonstrated community organizing and strategy development skills
- Leadership and management skills, including management of staff and projects, facilitation of groups, volunteer management, and program coordination
- Ability to handle the shifting contexts and nuances that coalition-building entails while holding various dynamics and nuances
- Experience as a media spokesperson and with public speaking
- Ability to set priorities and accomplish a broad range of tasks
- Excellent time management and organization skills
- Excellent interpersonal communication and public speaking skills and the ability to motivate people to act
- Self-starter who works well with people
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, work well under pressure and adhere to deadlines while balancing multiple projects
- Ability to initiate projects and work with minimum supervision
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication, verbal and written, communication skills
- Attention to detail with a strong sense of urgency and the ability to work effectively under pressure
- Able to communicate effectively to a diverse set of constituencies in a diverse set of geographies
- Social justice background
- Ability to take ownership of projects (start to finish)
- Ability to be self-directed and self-motivated
- Knowledge and mastery of G-suite
- Experience working with diverse stakeholders and has a working knowledge of the dynamics of power, privilege, and bias.
- Project coordination/management skills
Attributes, Experience & Qualifications:
- Strong racial equity analysis, skills, and practice: You consistently integrate a deep understanding of key racial equity concepts into work projects and interactions by addressing structural implications and disproportionate impacts of policies, activities, and decisions on race, class, and other group identities within the context of job responsibilities and projects.
- Self-initiative and advanced project management skills: You are self-directed and thrive in dynamic and ambiguous environments. You can delegate effectively, manage multiple priorities, organize a large volume of work, and keep it flowing through the pipeline. You are tenacious and proactive with the ability to get things done.
- Excellent relationship-building skills: You are able to build positive, enduring relationships with people from a wide variety of backgrounds and organizations and leverage those relationships in service of organizational goals.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate virtually: You are efficient and comfortable with Google Suite, responsive via email, and willing to participate in virtual meetings as needed; and you have the ability to navigate spaces with multiple strong voices and opinions to move the group forward and land decisions with clarity.
- Mission-aligned with opposing the ravages of racial capitalism, settler colonialism, white supremacy and patriarchy.
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team.
- Willingness and capacity to travel.(*No travel expected during pandemic)
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward building consensus and resolving obstacles and/or conflicts.
- Troubleshooter, nimble response capacity,, creative, and able to anticipate problems before they arise.
*Rising Majority strongly encourages and seeks applications from Black people, Indigenous people, People of color, immigrants, women, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQIA community, and other underrepresented and historically marginalized groups.