This full-time position will provide critical operations and capacity building support to enable MVP to best research, track, and implement all needed legal compliance for our various entities, as well as support our grantee universe of over 350 organizations in 42 states to build their competency around the legal compliance needed for successfully running c3, c4, PAC and other organizational formations. The role will be a combination of working with MVP’s operations and capacity building department and will report to the Operations Director. Part-time applicants may be considered if a full-time applicant is not found.
Serve as lead, with outside expert council, on internal c3, c4, and PAC compliance.
- Support operations team in ensuring compliance for all entities; make recommendations on current operating protocol and procedures.
- Serve as lead on all state and federal PAC filing and compliance.
- Help MVP finalize creation and implement our own c3 operation.
- Create and provide internal staff trainings, one-on-one support, and materials on compliance issues, as needed.
Serve as lead, with outside expert council, on advising strategy around moving money/grants to local, state, and national organizations.
- Develop skills to eventually serve as in-house expert on money moving in a 50 state strategy; research federal, state, and local laws to inform how we move funds to organizations.
- Track all organizations’ status and answers to vetting questions for all PACs and IE Committees.
- Assess, with outside legal support, when we can and can’t move funds to c4s, PACs and IEs based on federal, state, and local reporting requirements. And, if we do move funds, what their and MVP’s reporting and disclosure requirements are.
- Advise with outside legal support, MVP operations and grantmaking teams on how to proceed in each individual case.
State + Local Partnership Support
- Provide legal information support to grantee organizations through our capacity building program, as needed/when it makes sense not to bring in an outside consultant.
- Develop and implement trainings and tools for organizations to use in an ongoing way, including conference workshops, group presentations, 1:1 presentations, and materials templates.
- Develop contacts with state and local attorneys for MVP’s Movement Match capacity building program, including identifying and creating a pool of local attorneys in target states for us to match with groups who need them.
Other Duties, as assigned
- Support Operations Director and Capacity Building Manager, as needed, within the realm of legal and training work.
- JD Degree and admission to the Bar of at least one state.
- 5+ years of legal experience preferred.
- Experience with providing complex legal information to non-lawyers and creating legal resources for non-lawyers.
- Experience working with grassroots and social justice organizations, a plus.
- Experience in nonprofit compliance and/ or campaign finance law, or eagerness to learn.
- Commitment to anti-oppression and racial justice.
- We work in service of local groups - everything we do and how we do it should reflect that. We want to support and help grow the work of local groups, amplify stories of their work with donors and potential supporters to bring new resources to them and magnify their impact. We try to be aware at all times of the power dynamics of being a funder and not imposing and be careful about incentivizing actions that could alter an organization's own priorities.
- We have an organizer mentality - with both groups and donors. We are organizing support for our local partners and organizing donors to organize more donors! Be prepared to build genuine relationships and work collaboratively.
- We believe in a non-competitive, non-divisive, whole ecosystem approach - we’re always taking opportunities to support and encourage collaboration and avoid playing groups or donors against each other.
- We’re focused on building from our assets - we focus on a positive approach to growth and improvement that helps groups and donors to feel comfortable being vulnerable about their areas of improvement, and doesn’t make groups, organizers, or donors feel bad about themselves. :)
- We try to under-promise & over-deliver - we try to never lead people on about potential for funding or overpromise what we can deliver or the timeline.
Reports to: Operations Director
Salary Range + Benefits: $80,000-$100,000 with generous benefits including employer-paid medical and optional dental and vision insurance, basic life insurance, 401(k), regular work-from-home and wellness stipends, and four weeks of paid vacation.
Movement Voter Project isn’t just an equal opportunity employer, we’re actively seeking to build a diverse and inclusive team with a wide range of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills to support the incredible diversity of grassroots organizing across the country. MVP does not discriminate based upon race/ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a veteran, status as an individual with a disability, and any other characteristics.